The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
- Town of Haddam
- Crews will be constructing a retaining wall along the southside of Route 82.
- Crews will be installing roadway stormwater drainage system along the southside of Route 82.
- Town of East Haddam
- Crews will be working on utility pole connections along the southside of Route 82.
- Crews will be installing temporary work platforms under Span 2.
- Crews will be setting up abatement containment for Span 2.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- Crews will be performing a bridge balancing of the swing span; this work cannot be accomplished in concurrence with vehicles driving on the bridge. (Additional details on bridge closure during this balancing will be released on Monday 11/14).
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will be occurring each day between 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- The bridge will continue with the 2 daily manual openings of the swing span, the openings will occur at 10am and 1pm. Be advised that this schedule is subject to change if the bridge crew encounters reoccurring or new problems during the scheduled manual openings. Additionally, high winds (gusts above 25mph) could prevent the bridge tender from performing a manual swing, boaters are advised to monitor wind gusts on anticipated navigation day.
Please be advised:
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is working to inform residents of current and upcoming construction activities through announcements such as this, as well as the project website. For more information, visit
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to email@example.com