Construction Activities – Week of January 2, 2023
The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
- Town of Haddam
- Crews will continue with retaining wall construction along the southside of Route 82.
- Town of East Haddam
- Mobilization for retaining wall construction along the southside of Route 82.
- Crews will continue with installation of temporary work platforms under the bridge.
- Crews will continue with setting up containment on Spans 1 & 2 followed by surface prep and priming.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- Town of East Haddam
- Crews will begin retaining wall construction along the southside of Route 82 adjacent to the bridge.
- Beginning on Wednesday, January 4, 2023, and continuing through Friday, January 20, 2023, the East Haddam Swing Bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic between the hours of 7pm and 6am. If the contractor does not work on the weekend, the CTDOT will provide an update as soon as that decision is made.
Motorist alternative options to cross the Connecticut River during these overnight bridge closures will be as follows:
Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).
Traveling to/from the North – utilize the Arrigoni Bridge (Middletown-Portland).
- Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Friday between 9am-3pm within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- The swing span is no longer opening to accommodate marine traffic passage, scheduled openings will resume on February 1, 2023.
Please be advised:
- Starting this weekend, you will be able to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge 24/7 from our project traffic CAMS, the camera feeds will be viewable from our project website homepage.
- No roadway lane closures to occur between 12/30-1/2.
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to email@example.com